Monday 15 October 2012

1st Session of Figure Drawing Class

Osu! Today when I went back to school, the first thing that came to my mind were the renovations being done on the School of InfoComm Technology building (which is my faculty). As such, the staircase that I usually use to go up to my classroom/studio had a barricade. I dislike using the elevators during the peak hours because they'd be overly crowded with students and lecturers alike. It's especially annoying if you're late for class and you have to rush like crazy... But until the renovations are done, I've no choice but to rely on the elevators. My classmates and I had a hard time waiting for an empty elevator that would be able to ferry us down after class ended just now... (-_-)

And also, today was my first Figure Drawing class, and I have to admit that it was really fun. My teacher's a fresh university graduate student from America, and introduced himself as Cash. He told us that he was on an international exchange thing with my school. We couldn't really catch what Cash was saying most of the time because of his accent. But he's a really nice and easy-going person. I like those kind of teachers. It makes class much more enjoyable and less pressurizing. Cash said my entire school with its different faculties were "crazy" and "like a maze" and that "no school in America could compare to it". In terms of its size, I guess... LOL!

After giving short introductions of ourselves to Cash, we went straight into the first lesson. After covering basic sketching techniques by drawing simple 3D geometrical shapes, we went on to basic figure drawing. All of us were given a chance to do live modeling (much to me and my friend's horror). When my turn came, I had no idea what pose to model. In the end I settled on a girl's push-up position, and I could hear some of my classmates' hushed voices wondering if I could hold that position for a whole 3 minutes. Hey, I wasn't in the Uniformed Groups Club in my secondary school for nothing, man... XD

Anyway, here are some of the figure sketches I did in class.

The first basic figure drawing. We were told to perceive what geometrical shapes human figures are made up of. Everyone sees them differently, and THESE are how I think the human figures look like in terms of shapes. My friends says that when I draw manga characters, I draw the girls' bodies better than the guys', and as much as I'm quite disappointed, I have to agree. But I shall take note of how my guys' bodies will turn out after I'm done with this module! ( ^∇^)

One of my classmates (left) was told to model a dance pose with a skeleton (right). She looked fairly uneasy XD This was drawn using my non-dominant hand.

Some kind of soccer pose. Drawn with my non-dominant hand.

The top pose was done by my friend who's an outgoing and energetic guy :3
LOL at the 'Thinking' pose :D

Some 'bending-down-holding-an-axe' kind of pose

I have no idea what this pose is. Some Super Saiyan pose? Goku's pose? (O_o)

This pose reminds me of someone intending to keep a box or object on a high shelf. Don't you think so too?

We used this waxy pencil-like medium... If I'm not wrong, Cash said it's called China Marker or something...? I have to buy them ASAP so that I can do my homework - 10 sketches of human figures/poses drawn entirely with the geometrical shapes, so I'll just draw the poses of my anime figurines~ (・`ω´・)

Looking forward to the next session! In the mean time, gearing up for tomorrow's lesson and the rest of the week... "I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT, WE CAN DO IT~!!!"

P.S. Crap I think I'm going to catch a cold soon, my voice has changed a little... D':

No comments:

Post a Comment